Tuesday, January 19, 2016

I am blessed

Recently, David Jeremiah said he's begun to tell people who ask how he's doing that he's blessed.  I like that.  When people ask how you are, it's not always genuine concern for how you are.  It can sometimes be a question to keep the conversation going.  If times are difficult, the questioner definitely does not want to hear a blow-by-blow account of the difficulties being experienced.

I've also come to realize moaning and groaning about my woes doesn't do me any more good than my listener.  The Bible says to speak to one another in psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs.  I've come to realize the more I focus on the good things in life, the less I'm troubled by the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.

We got a Christmas card one year from a dear, elderly couple in our church.  The card literally listed ever medication and the dosage they'd taken for the previous year!  Merry Christmas to you, too. I vowed I would make every effort to keep my Christmas letter upbeat.

On top of that, I have so very much to be grateful for.  Truly, I am blessed. Lately, I've been blessed with getting in contact with friends I haven't seen in years.  What a joy.  One friend that we see about every three or four years is going to be close by and there are several people in that vicinity who would like to see her.  Some of them, I haven't seen in about 15 years, so it's going to be a grand reunion for all of us.  And, the group is growing!  We started out with four.  As of today, we're up to eight.  We've got another week to go.  Who knows how many it will be by then?

Today, I had lunch with a new friend. She's been coming to the church about six months now.  It's a mutual admiration society between us.  We have differences, such as age.  She's younger than my oldest son and yet, we also have many things in common. We talk about books, movies, experiences, and most of all, the Lord.  We pray for each other.  It's been a beautiful day.

New friends, friends of long standing, friends my own age, or young enough to be my daughter, or even granddaughter-all of them are a blessing.  Thank you, Lord, for friends.  I feel like the richest lady in town.  

No comments:

Post a Comment