Saturday, July 4, 2015

Rather than complain, pray.

Love that heading.  It's not original.  It's from Our Daily Bread, a daily devotional I use each morning, along with Jesus Calling and Jesus Today, both of which are by Sarah Young and essential to my walk with the Lord and my sanity in this world gone mad.

No, I'm not complaining.  Like I said in previous blogs, it doesn't do any good, anyway.  My brother has been saying that for years and he's right.  It doesn't do any good.  By saying we live in a world gone mad, I believe I'm merely speaking facts.  What to do about it?  PRAY.

Many years ago, someone suggested my prayer follow the format of ACTS  and although more often than not feel like I'm "chanting as the heathen do," it does enable me to focus on Whom I'm speaking with, how worthy He is, and how much I need Him.   If you're unfamiliar with ACTS, it's an acronym for "Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving, and Supplication."  And, it makes sense to me. Good psychologists have been using the Apostle Paul's letter writing style for many, many years. Paul starts his letters with compliments to those who are going to receive it.  In Romans 1:8, for example, he says, "First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is proclaimed in all the world."  Had to make the Romans feel pretty good, right?

Again, in I Corinthians 1:4, he says, "I give thanks to my God always for you because of the grace of God that was given you in Christ Jesus".  I don't know about you, but I'm a more attentive when I'm complimented than when someone comes at me, shaking their finger under my nose.

It's not that God is more attentive when I begin my prayer with adoration, but it does make me more aware of Who I'm addressing.  The God of the Universe.  The Lord of Lords, the Kings of kings, the Prince of peace.  Holy, almighty, majestic God.  How can I do anything else but adore Him when I am aware of how wonderful He is?

Once I become aware of how great He is, I am humbled to know how weak and unworthy I am.  It's been said we can only know what true repentance is when we truly understand how sinful we are and what it cost Christ to redeem us.  And, so, step 2 is to search my heart and ask God if there is anything in my life that I am doing my way and if so I want to repent of it.  Confession comes from the Greek word, "homolegao," which means "to agree."  It's where we get the word "homogenize." And, so I confess-agree with God-that I want to remove anything that is in my life that comes between God and me.

Thanksgiving is next.  There is so much to be grateful for.  Even in this mad, mad, mad, mad world. This morning, I read the story of a dear friend I met online several months ago.  If ever there is someone who has the right to complain, it is she.  Instead, she's a bright, shining testimony of God's grace and goodness.  Another friend in Mississippi is the same way.  Sometimes I feel as though the path God has chosen for me is rough and rocky.  I want to sing with the Marty Robbins song about God giving me a mountain too big to climb.  Going over the rough patches in life, however, have drawn me closer to Him.  It's removed a lot of rough edges.  Unfortunately, there are still many to go.  I've often said I don't envy the rich.  If I had money, I'd be too busy involved in spending it to make my path smooth and easy. I wouldn't have time for God.  Nor have I been willing to work as hard as those who have earned their fortunes, making envy a selfish waste of time.

Finally, supplication.  It's the time we seek God's help and blessing for those things we believe are His will.  Charles Stanley once did a sermon on Solomon's prayer when the Temple was dedicated. Stanley indicated we need to come to a point where our prayer is more praise than petition.  I agree. However, I also noticed that Solomon's prayer didn't say "if" the people sin in any matter he listed, it says "when," meaning he had to wisdom to understand people are going to sin.  That's where we can again go to adoration and thanksgiving.  We do serve a loving God Who is willing to forgive.  We do serve a longsuffering God and while I cringe at the number of times I have imposed on His grace by sinning, I am eternally grateful He is willing to forgive when I ask.

Supplication is the place where praying for this crazy world comes in.  A new movie is coming out on August 28, I think.  It's called "War Room."  I hope it's as good as the trailer.  Rather than complaining, we must pray.  I'm beginning to see more and more people who are willing to identify with Christianity. Glen Beck said yesterday the Chinese are praying America will fall so that we will be humbled.  It may take that.  When the squeeze and pain of persecution begin, some will fall away and some will grow stronger.  It's begun.  Can't say I look forward my turn, but if it brings me, America, and especially my family and loved ones to their knees in repentance, I'll be grateful for the way God has answered those Chinese prayers.

I have to admit, down through history, a country that falls does so because they've turned their backs on God and become arrogant.  Psalm 34:12 a says, "Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord." That's where we started in 1620, but look where we are now.  Am I, as a Christian, praying, or am I complaining?  Am I thankful to be living in this nutty world because God has a purpose for me in it? If so, thank You, Lord.  If not, please forgive me.

No comments:

Post a Comment