Friday, July 17, 2015

Can't buy me love

I've been thinking a lot about love recently.  My thoughts took me back to when a theology professor at Moody had us write a paper on one of the three sermons in the book of Acts, preached by Peter or Paul.  It was amazing to realize not one of those sermons mentioned "love."  Not once!  In fact, Peter came down hard on the Jews, saying they killed Jesus (Acts 2:36).  In spite of that harsh statement, thousands, yes thousands, were added to the church.

Not at all sure that would be the result today.  Church goers are not accustomed to being told we killed Jesus.  We did, but it's not something we appreciate hearing.  We hear so much about love, we may be immune to hearing about the wrath of God.  However, I realize I'm only accounting for human words and responses in talking about a situation in which the Holy Spirit was in total control. Is He not as in control today because we've blocked out thinking about the fact we're sinners who caused Christ's death on the cross?  I wonder.

Even God's wrath is not spoken about much today in spite of the fact His wrath occurs because we sin and He knows the damage our sin causes to ourselves and others as well as the grief He endures. Ever been punished by your parents for wrongdoing on your part?  Or got a royal chewing out by a boss for disobeying a direct order that caused problems in the business?  Ever learn to be grateful for that? It's even more so with God.  Learning that He corrects those He loves makes it worthwhile to be grateful for His chastisement.  It might even keep us from doing that stupid, stubborn, selfish sin again.

So how do we, as disciples of Jesus, express God's love to others?  Four specific things have happened in my life this past week that have opened my heart to thinking about love.  Nothing earth shattering or even grand, but then love, in it's truest form is neither.

Our little dog, Sheila, loves me.  She's my dog.  Her love for me is so undeserved.  We bought her for my husband.  He took her to obedience classes.  He plays with her. He takes her everywhere and while she loves him, too, she follows me around all over the house.  No matter what I'm doing, there she is.  This morning, I slept in (5:30).  My husband put her on the bed.  She was content to lay there for a while, but then she decided it was time for me to get up.  She strolled over to me and began making her presence known in cute little doggie ways.  I continued to lay on my side, my back to her. Finally, she'd had enough and jumped on me!  Straddled me.  Of course, there was no ignoring her now.  I rolled to my back and the kisses began.  She has the longest and fastest tongue!  Right now, she's at my feet in the office.  If I'm in here, so is she.

Yesterday, the principal of the school bought me flowers from his garden!  Why?  It was such a simple act of love and so unexpected.  That's what love is.  An expression of caring even when it's not expected, earned, or to make a difficult situation easier.  He just wanted to express his appreciation of me, in spite of the fact I did nothing to deserve it.  I wasn't even the one to answer the door when he came!

A couple of days before, a dear friend sent me a video.  It's of his sister-in-law, who is in a severe stage of Alzheimer's and has been for years.  When his wife, my best friend, and he visited last spring, they said Sister just sat in her wheelchair.  Didn't know anyone, couldn't talk, just sat.  But, the video brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it.  Not because it's a video of a very ill woman. It's a video of love.  Her children played a hymn for her.  (She was the church organist)  There was a spark of recognition in her eyes and she tried so much to join in singing along, especially when her daughters sang alto.  It was so beautiful.  But, then, that's the way that family is.  Nothing special or heroic, just tenderly caring for someone who can no longer care for herself.  That's love.

Then, a week or so ago, I got the news that my dear friend, Marianne, had finally finished her book. It's an e book.  She even went to the trouble of getting it onto my computer via a pdf file.  Bless her! I don't have an e book reader, but she found another way for me to view the book.  That's love!  Even more than that, her book is a book of love.  For over 20 years, she's been doing a "Secret Santa" type gifting to a family in need, using The 12 Days of Christmas as the theme.  Briefly, she secretly gifts someone once a day for 12 days before Christmas.  On the 12th day, she reveals who the "gifter" has been.  Many of the gifts are homemade.  Some are inexpensive trinkets she purchased in a dollar store, or a combination of both.

As people learn about the idea, more and more are doing their own 12 days.  Her children's school is now doing one for someone in the faculty, alumni, or family who is having a difficult time.  If you'd like to do this for someone you think could use a Christmas pick-me-up, please go to her blog, ADVENTURESINGTHEBALLPARK.blogspot.com.  For years, I heard about this and thought it was a neat idea, but couldn't quite grasp some of the things she was doing or how the response would be, but seeing it has sparked an interest in me to do one of my own.

And, again, that's love.  Nothing big, nothing grand, nothing earth shattering.  Just a small token of love the recipient never knew it was coming, or why.  Isn't that what God does?  He loves us, in spite of ourselves.  And, I'm grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment