Sunday, July 5, 2015

Fire Insurance

Something very profound was said this morning in the  message we listened to  from David Jeremiah. Some Christians want to enjoy the benefits of Christianity without the suffering of the difficulties. Had to stop and think about that for a minute.

I agree that is the way some people seem to live their lives.  However, that's not the issue.  I cannot do a thing about anyone but myself.  Therefore, how do I live?  How far away the life God wants me to live am I?  That's the issue.

The second message we listened to this morning came from Michael Youseff.  He has begun a series regarding rebuilding walls and is using the book of Nehemiah.  In it, the first step he mentioned in rebuilding walls is to pray.  That got me to thinking.  Is my prayer life is as it should be?  Do I get weary of well doing and slack off because I think nothing's happening?  I need to remind myself that mighty oaks do not spring up from acorns over night.  It takes time.  Lots of time.  And, lots of hardships.

Recently, a childhood friend sent me a picture she took of the house I grew up in.  It looks a lot different today.  I sent copies to my brothers.  My oldest brother thought I was sending a picture of where I live today.  Hardly,  Trees don't grow that tall in hurricane stricken Florida.  He also commented that it didn't look nearly that nice when we lived in it.  No, it didn't, but then again, improvements take time and money and really hard work.  That little house is snug, secure.  Like my middle brother chuckled. "Dad was one who believed it was one was needed, 6 was better."  I think he had to go back for more nails at lest 3 times when he was putting on the aluminum siding.

Dad was a rigor in a steel mill.  Only 2 people were hired after him, meaning last in, first out when it came time to lay off, which happened about every 3 years, so money could be tight.  But, he and Mom continued to plan, to work, and eventually got the rooms added and the front fixed up so that it looks somewhat like it did in the picture takes in 2011.  The latest picture shows a much polished little place.  Would love to see what they've done with the inside.  Wonder, too, if they dug out the partial basement.

No, the house doesn't look like it did when we lived there, but we were pioneers.  If you could have seen what it looked like when we moved in and what it looked like when my mother sold it after Dad died, you'd understand.  My hat's off to them for their faithful had work.
But, I digress.

Message number 3 came from Andy Stanley and it's amazing how there's a thread of continuity running through all the messages we hear.  It doesn't always happen, but it did this morning and I have much to pray about.  Stanley's message was about what the word "Christian" really means and how it's been misused and abused.  He suggests we begin to call ourselves what Jesus called His followers, "Disciples."  Jesus did say we were to go into all the world and make disciples. "Christian," according to Stanley, is only mentioned 3 times in Scripture and most know that the first use of the term was derogatory.  Disciple, on the other hand is much more frequent, but that's not the reason he suggests we consider ourselves disciples.  Disciples are followers, adherents, pupil, taught, trained, learner.  Using that word negates a lot of the division that been going on in the church since Jesus returned to heaven.

Again, I was reminded that I need to examine my heart and determine if I am learning, following, adhering, etc.   When it's all said and done, my week is off to a great start.  Hope it's the same for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment