Thursday, July 16, 2015

To write or not to write.

I've joined a group of people interested in being published, along with those who have already accomplished that goal.  Like all entrepreneurs, it's tough getting started.  Very tough.  Like all businesses, publishers must continually evolve to fit the demand of the buying public.  They're in it to make money.  Otherwise, they wouldn't last long and nobody would have anything to read.

However, it's oh, so true that the older you get, the faster time goes and change happens, in the business world, anyway.  I remember the great-aunt who reared my mother.  She was terrified of the buttons on her first automatic washer.  My aunt and cousin caught her in the basement, trying to haul the old wringer washer out of the corner instead of using the new automatic already set up for her.

My dad had a phenomenal sense of direction. No matter how sure my mother and I were that he was wrong and should turn around, he'd keep going. He was right every time.  Then the interstates and their clover-leaf exits and entrances came into existence.  They would turn him around every time. When I drove my mother and my aunt to Chicago for my college graduation  (I was 47 years old!) Mom told Aunt Velma that Dad could never have handled 6  or 8 lanes of traffic through construction at 75 miles per hour. She was right

What can I tell you?  I'm a late bloomer who went back to college at 45 and finally tackled the dream of being published-at 70 years of age!  Over the past year, I've used the expression paradigm shift many, many times.  I've had to finally come to the conclusion if you want to keep up in this world, you can't rest on your laurels if you have any, and you can't get any if you don't make those shifts.  Like it or not, it's a continuous matter of paradigm shifts.

It's no reason for discouragement-or swagger.  It's a matter of continuing to plug, continuing to find role models who went through tough times getting started.  I have often used David as an example. He was a shepherd boy, the youngest in his family, and therefore, the least respected.  But, someone who knew of his courage on those cold, lonely hillsides, fending off lions, bears, and, undoubtedly thieves, told the king and David's paradigm shifted.  Big time..

His fame grew when he slew Goliath, but his difficulties were just getting started.  Mystery and history writers fill volumes of books and fatten their wallets writing about the cruelty and intrigue in high places.  Twice the king threw a spear at David.  Chased him all over the place, even into enemy territory.  When I had a rough time with one of my bosses, I'd think about David.  Well, Lord, at least she's not chucking spears at me.  When David first gathered his merry band of followers, they were hardly the reputable men most people would expect.  According to I Samuel 22:2, "All those who were in distress or in debt or discontented gathered around him and he became their leader." It couldn't have been easy leading 400 men who were in distress, discontented or in debt, much less the family who were loyal in spite of their disrespect. (vs. 1)

I'm comforted to know those who keep going can see the fruition of their dreams.  But, I'm no fool wearing rose-colored glasses.  I also know 2% of anything is excellent.  Everything else falls in a spectrum somewhere below that all the way to failure.  So where am I?  I seriously doubt I'll ever be a best seller. My son was quick to point out I've limited my audience to women in the church.  That is my intent, so best sellers are off the table-(but maybe not my dreams).  Jan Karon did it several years ago with her Mitford and Father Tim series.  I'm not her and don't want to be.  Nor am I Francine Rivers or Bodie Thane.  I'm just saying it can be done-if it's God's will, which is want I want more than any dream to come true.

I loved the fact that self-publishing gave me complete control over my work.  I've labored over every word for a long time and given each episode a great deal of thought.  And prayer. I don't want someone changing the message I believe God gave me just so the publisher and I can get richer. There are some things I will not do.

That reminds me of the Apostle Paul.  He said if anyone preaches a gospel other than what he preached, let him be cursed.  In today's vernacular, one might think he was saying, "Let him go to hell." Strong language in any vernacular.  Honest as well.  Therefore, if I am writing to educate young people that God's way is truly best, I'd better be telling them about God's way, not my own interpretation.

Having said all that, above are just some of the reasons I wonder if I'm really doing what I'm supposed to be doing and going through the tough start up, or am I living in a fool's paradise?  Do I write or not write?  Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment