Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Happy Birthday!

Today is my granddaughter's 26th birthday.  Beautiful - oh, the stories I could tell about her beauty - but I've been warned off getting too personal about family members.  Let's just leave it that I'm not the only one who thinks she's drop dead gorgeous.

She's also smart, talented, gifted, and just about as wonderful as they come.  She's feisty, too.  Should have known that watching her play volleyball in high school.  She's only 5'4", but she held her own on the team.  She could dive, retrieve, run, and hit with the best of them and even better than the 6' girl on the team.

One of the times I remember her being feisty on Grandma's behalf happened Father's Day weekend. We had gone to a very posh restaurant in downtown Jax.  My purse is quite large and I was struggling with where to put it.  She suggested I hang it on the back of my chair, but I said that is no longer advised.  Someone could easily slip it off the back of the chair and walk off with it.  She smiled and said they wouldn't get away with it.  She was between the back of my chair and the door. No way would she let someone steal her Grandma's purse.

The second occasion happened several years ago.  We had been contemplating getting a dog and when my son said he'd buy it, we called the shop, but the one I wanted had been sold.  The pup, however had a sister in a nearby shop.  We called and were told it, too, had been sold, but first come, first serve.  We all climbed in the car and as my son raced for the pet shop, my granddaughter said if the other people got their first, I could take them down at the knees and she'd run off with the dog! What a girl!

She also is about the bravest 26 year old I know.  She's just been through a very rough year, health wise, thanks to a doctor who didn't know what he was doing.  But, she endured, didn't give up, and now she's returned to work.  She doesn't seem bitter over what's happened even though she'll have health issues for the rest of her life.  Honestly, she's handled it better than I would have.

She called this morning to thank us for her birthday card.  She's a delight to talk to.  It made me think of the time we went to the movies, just the two of us to see the story of Queen Elizabeth when Princess Diana died.  We had lunch after and a wonderful, intelligent, thoughtful conversation.

Way to go, Sweetheart!!!  You make your grandparents so proud!

Happy Birthday and may this be a fantastic year, with each year to follow getting better.  We love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment