Thursday, February 4, 2016

Scary

Whoo, howdy!  Here I go again. Today, my computer guru set up my Facebook page for my book(s). It's one thing to watch an expert, take notes, and then when I'm all by myself, to follow his steps and daily post on the site.

I can see the wisdom of engaging in social media in order to be more successful as an author, or any business for that matter.  One of the big lessons I learned today is to shift my thinking - again- to be more professional.  I am such an amateur and I have so much to learn.  How many times have I said that before?

About 3/4 of the way through today's instruction, I wailed, "I'm drowning." There so much to learn. Then again, I've always said the day I stop learning is the day I die.

There's a popular expression in the athletic world these days.  It was never used in my day.  If it had been, perhaps more of us my age would be in better physical condition.  The expression is "muscle memory."  The way professional athletes get to be as good as they are is to practice certain moves so much, the body reacts in a certain way without even thinking about it.  I imagine that's what happened when the Steeler had a spectacular gymnastic catch a few weeks ago.  His muscles responded automatically.

The brain, I'm told, works the same way.  That's one reason I work with the boys in school to memorize, memorize, memorize.  The more they quote something, the better they do.  They're improving their ability to remember what they're learning with each time they repeat it.

Therefore, I will have to learn to repeat the steps shown to me until they become second nature. When those steps become second nature, I'll move to something new.  Who know?  Someday, I might even be good at it. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment