Thursday, February 18, 2016

Not so bad

I've come to the conclusion getting old is not so bad.  Oh sure, the aches, pains, sags, and wrinkles are unappealing, but they're not deadly.  I've often said getting old beats the alternative. For the Christian, that's not true, but we always have the feeling there's something more we could have done or there's something better coming, so facing death can be difficult.

However, if we didn't age, who'd want to die?  Even if we know we're going to be far better off, there's still that pull to keep going, aches, pains, sags, wrinkles and everything else that goes with it.

Many times, the elderly - that's word that got me to thinking along these lines - feel left behind.  Life is moving with breathtaking swiftness, to be sure and keeping up gets increasingly difficult for we who have more water under the bridge than most.

A few days ago, I finally joined the 21st century in yet another way.  Not kicking and screaming nearly as much as with the computer, but it became apparent a smart phone is a necessity for selling my books.  I have yet to figure out how to use it, but I'm determined and I'm learning. I bought it Tuesday and had to go back on Wednesday to get it hooked up to the bluetooth in the car.

While going through to long process of choosing and purchasing the phone, I met three young men and had some wonderful conversations with them.  It turns out one of them will vote for Trump, one will vote for Sanders, and the third is, like me, still undecided.  They laughed and joked about their differences, including me in their banter.  The thing I really liked is that they didn't dismiss me as a crochety old lady who didn't know what she was talking about. Each listened respectfully as different opinions were given.  I was firm in some of my comments. The one who is voting for Sanders said he just wants big corporations to pay their fair share. When I asked about the company he works for he kind of shrugged it off.  I strongly implied that was cowardice and hypocrisy.  He got my message, but was not offended.  Amazing.  If I'd have said those things as a young woman or even a middle aged one, he might not have been as accepting.

When I got home, I realized some things were left undone.  I called to ask about the things we had discussed, but had not completed.  I called three times, letting the phone ring 15 times each.  No answer.  I went back the next day.  While there, I gave them some business advice, telling them the phone should be answered by the third ring. It's just good business.  They explained they only have one line and no call waiting, excusing themselves.  I agreed.

One of the young men went to the car to install the phone and called back to the store to insure it had properly installed.  The first thing the young man who answered said, "I picked up in two rings!" Again, they got the message loud and clear. Again, that wouldn't have happened if I were 20, 30, or even 40 years younger.  Getting old isn't so bad.

I remember my children sitting at their grandparents feet, listening in open mouthed awe to stories of what it was like to live in their day. Now, it's beginning to happen me. One young man was in shock when I said I'd never even held a smart phone until I bought one the day before. Kids these days don't know what it's like to be without smart phones, laptops, tablets, X-box and a whole lot of other things we never had.

It doesn't really make me feel old to not have ha those things or not to need them.  It makes me feel like a pioneer.  It makes me feel rugged, strong, and forget the aches, pains, sags, and wrinkles.  Like my mother, who used to say she was not a senior citizen or elderly, she was old.  Nothing wrong with that. We've survived a lot and I for one am not ashamed to call myself old.  Being old is not so bad.


No comments:

Post a Comment