Tuesday, February 23, 2016

The mighty and virulent tongue

James 3:9-10 says, "With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness.  Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing.  My bothers, this should not be."

It's an election year and the praises and curses are flowing out of the same mouths.  Sometimes from me.  I repent.  When someone reviles the candidate I support, I want and do go on the defensive. That's an insult to God and it shows a lack of faith on my part. We are each and every one created in God's image.  When we insult one of His creatures, we insult Him.  When we go on the defensive, it shows a lack of faith that His plan is superior to ours and He knows what He's doing.

I may not like what He's doing.  There are very few vying for the most powerful position in the world that I think is worthy of my vote. but snide, snarky satirical "jokes" about the opposition will not change anyone's vote and it only increases the divisiveness already at a volatile stage in our country. Such comments also diminishes my integrity and solidifies the opposition's determination.

If I disagree with someone's policy, I have every right to state that.  But, I do not have the right to simply pontificate my opinions or to denigrate God's creation. If someone  has a character quality unfitting for office, I have the right to point that out - sans editorializing. God's Word plainly points out that I must not use my tongue for good and evil.

Unfortunately, the tongue is impossible to tame. God's Word says that, too. What to do? What to do? Facebook has been a curse and a blessing at this time. So many post Scriptures and positive sayings every day.  They're an encouragement.  Then, there are those who post vile lies and I lose when I stoop to responding.  I try to scroll past certain names I know are posting opinions that are false.  If I respond in kind, I have no right to complain about what they're doing.  I have stooped to their level.

To those who post Scripture, thanks for the good example.  I'm doing the same thing about every day, in the hopes that I will encourage others.  To those who are posting political vitriol, I will pray for you.  It's been said we lash out when we're afraid.  I admit that's true of myself and will, therefore pray for the both of us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment