Thursday, July 3, 2014

What Century Am I In?

God bless our grandchildren who can figure out these crazy machines.  I'm still in the late 1800's, I think.  There are reasons for that.  For one thing, we didn't have a TV in our home until I was 19 and a sophomore in college.  Mom always said they were too expensive.  When they got down to 50 cents, she'd buy one.

She made that comment to my brother one day and he shot back with, "I know where you can get one for $6.25."  His mother-in-law had a black white tube type.  Every 6 months, the vertical tube would blow and she'd have to buy a new one.  She got tired of that and left the black and white in the repair shop and upgraded to a new one.  Mom and Dad bought that one, dragged it home to Pittsburgh from Allentown and for a year or two, that was the TV.  Until then, while all my friends were watching the classics that had been made into movies on TV or at the movies, my nose was buried in a book.

Come to think of it, I wasn't allowed to attend movies until I was 19, either.

Burying my nose in a book was about my only entertainment.  I was reading 300 page books by the time I was 10.  No genius, mind you.  Just looking for a little excitement.  Like Debbie Macomber, stories were always running through my mind.  Stories of Prince Charming and Damsels in Distress.  My favorite author at the time was Grace Livingston Hill-another reason I feel like I'm at least a century behind.  Most of her books were written in the very late 1800's or the early 1900's.  Her heroines were so pure and so long suffering in their purity, I spent most of my teens daydreaming of my Prince Charming who would rescue my from a world I found vastly different..

Because I was the youngest of 3, and my brothers were on their own by the time I reached my teens, any socializing my parents included me.  Socializing was done in someone's home.  People older than me who'd been in their homes for a long time.  In those days, the living rooms (called parlors) were quite small.  There was no TV, or it was off while we visited.  Instead, we sat around a large dining room table, ate, and talked.  Looking back, almost every home we went to had a dining room that was the largest room in the house.

However, here I am in the 21st century, still believing love conquers all, bonding is done person-to-person, and food is a large part of that bonding process.  Rip Van Winkle's got nothing on me.

Enter granddaughter.  She called last night, in spite of being very sick.  I mentioned if she was better, she could come down and help her goofy grandma figure out these crazy social network things that have made me crazy for the past week.  (Until then, I refused to participate)

Part of my problem with my blog site (http://underthenettlestree.blogspot.com) is that I was putting the @ in. Wrong.  Can't do that.  Then, too, I had not one, but three sites, all with the same name.  How I did that is beyond me.  Tonight, she hopes to get me on Pinterest and give me a tutorial on it.

Guess it's time to get rid of my bustle and high top, button up shoes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment