Thursday, July 10, 2014

A World Apart

"It takes so much time," my friend complained about the social media.  She wasn't talking about learning her way around the Internet.  She's quite good at it, as a matter of fact.  She was talking about the time consumed just interacting with friends she's made online.

For all our technical savvy, I wonder if we've lost the ability to really care. How can you be compassionate in 140-160 characters?  Relationships take nurturing.  Over long periods of time.  Recently, Eric on "The Five" (FNC) said of a very popular TV show, "It's all about relationships and that's why the show is so popular." He's so right.  How can I have a relationship with hundreds of people on line?  People I'll probably never meet face to face.

Businesses are even worse.  "Visit our website at www.who cares?  Or www.get lost.  I called a business this morning, looking for answers to questions I had before making a purchase.  The one who answered the phone admitted she had no idea what as I was talking about and was quite sanctimonious is letting me know I didn't know what I was talking about when I was reading from the ad she knew nothing about.  The web site couldn't answer my questions and she couldn't be bothered.  She lost the sale.  If my questions revealed inadequacy in their ad and her attitude revealed lousy customer relations, why should I buy their product?

Then, too, there's the companies who hire people in foreign countries to answer questions.  HA!  They don't speak English well enough for me to understand and they don't understand American culture.  They lose the sale and unfortunately, I usually lose my temper.

I began to wonder about all this social media and technology stuff as I listened to a friend pour out her tale of woe this morning.  I did the same thing yesterday and a couple of days before that.  I am privileged that friends trust me enough to open up.  That's how we did it way back when.  We had a lot less depression and a lot less anger way back then, too.  So, is getting caught up in the excitement of meeting new friends and hopefully, catching up with old ones worth the time that might cost a face-to-face talk that someone needs? Hugs just don't do Skype or Fact time well.   I feel like I'm in a different world.  Can I learn to balance the best of both worlds?  I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment