Thursday, November 27, 2014

Attitude of Gratitude

Thanksgiving Day.  So many have said so much, anything I can add may seem trite, but give thanks I must.  My mother taught me well, and I'm grateful.  My best friend lived in the same town where we attended church.  She would often invite me to Sunday dinner.  I'd stay with her and go home again with my parents after the evening service.  Even though the visits were so frequent, I called her parents my second parents, I never neglected to say thanks for their hospitality.  Connie's mother would get this smirk on her face when I got ready to leave the house.  She knew what was coming.  I would say thanks and she would nod and smile.

Looking back makes me grateful for all my parents taught me.  Most important, they taught me about Jesus.  I was a freshman in college before I realized I didn't know the Christ I intended to proclaim to the world.  But, all that attendance in Sunday School, church, youth group, Youth for Christ meetings, summer camps, memorizing thousands of Bible verses, and participating in Christmas plays finally bore fruit when the knowledge I had in my head went to my heart.

A lot of the things they taught me were just quick little comments to events occurring around us.  I was terrified of my sixth grade teacher.  It was his second year of teaching after he left the Marines.  Anyone who has any experience in teaching knows you are stricter in discipline when first starting out, so we bore the brunt of his military training.  Daddy told me I couldn't expect to get through life without someone looking down their nose at me.  That's saved me a lot of grief over the years.

When one (or more) of the neighbors had their midnight screaming fights because he came home drunk and she lit into him, Mother would tell you, "You might trap a man, but you won't keep him if you do."  Everyone of those couples had shotgun weddings.  It's one of the reasons I wrote the book I did.  I hope to continue to get her message out.

Who in America is not grateful to live in this wonderful country?  I've been privileged to visit or live in 29 of the 50 states and have friends or family in the rest of them.  Yes, we have our troubles, but Tony Blair had it right when he said it's the only country other people are trying to escape to instead of from.  I've lived in other countries and while each had their unique stamp on things, I was glad to get home.  I have to admit, though, I'm NOT grateful when someone escapes the cruelty of their own country, only to propagate it here.

I'm grateful I grew up in a day and time when education was teaching reading, writing, and arithmetic instead of political correctness indoctrination.  I'm grateful beyond words that we're working hard in our school to teach our boys in a way that will make them productive citizens in our world.  Most of the boys come to our school because they just couldn't adjust or make it in a public school-we're kind of a last ditch effort on their behalf.  At some point in their lives all of them will call the pastor to express their gratitude for Shiloh.  Even those who didn't learn the lesson or couldn't stay will say they're grateful for what they learned and sorry for what they chose not to learn.

Bob and I are nearing 51 years of marriage.  We have two fantastic sons, two daughters-in-law that we love enough to call daughters, five wonderful grandchildren, including our granddaughter-in-law, and a precious great grandson.  God has blessed us so very richly with every one of them.  We reared our sons to do even better than their parents and they've done it, making us proud as well as grateful.  At times, their astuteness and intelligence amazes us.  When Mark got his first big promotion, Bob asked, "How'd you get so smart?"  He was joking-maybe.  When Dan's family visited, I was amazed at how beautifully he conversed with his 18 year old son.

After the boys left home, our empty nest continued to be filled with love and laughter, just enjoying each other.  Something that was often interrupted with two rowdy boys, a variety of pets, and a myriad of moves to contend with.  The moves continued, but that gave us just each other to cling to in a new environment.  Until we got Sheila 6 1/2 years ago.  I can't say I'm sorry we went 23 years without a pet, but our "caustie" (an expensive cross between Cocker Spaniel and Australian Shepherd) has brought so much laughter to us.  At the moment, she's scratching my arm, telling me it's time to pay attention to her, so suffice it to say, words fail in expressing my gratitude for all the blessings I've received the past 71 years.

Blessings to you, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment