Thursday, November 6, 2014

Praise the Lord

Here's where I cause heartburn in some, delight in others, misunderstanding in still more.  It was so refreshing to know that many in this country, not just the conservatives (Nazis according to Nancy Pelosi, crazies, according to Harry Reid, racists according to Al Sharpton) are fed up with the direction of this country.

Let me hasten to add the best political advice I ever heard was from a black professor at Moody Bible Institute.  "It's time to put trust in Almighty God instead of almighty government."  How right he is. In fact,  Psalm 118:8&9 have become my political mantra.  "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in men.  It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in princes."

Scripture commands us to give thanksgiving and praise in everything.  Even in politics, no matter what other people think, no matter the outcome.  And, I am grateful.  God was so abundant in providing different leadership. However, Scripture also talks of Israel having good kings and rebellious people.  In order for government to work, there must be both good leadership and "followership."   Whether or not we have that remains to be seen.

Whether or not the new leadership can turn this country around also remains to be seen.  Warning signs are all over the place that it will not happen.  Many believe this is but a slight reprieve and American cannot return to the greatness it once had.  A Baptist pastor once said if God does not punish America, he owes Sodom and Gomorrah an apology.  The more I get into writing about immorality in our churches, the more I agree with him.

Having said all that, my prayer for years has been Lord, keep me faithful.  Keep me grateful.  Good, bad or otherwise in the circumstances is not what I'm to depend on.  I am to depend on Almighty God.  He is worthy of praise.  I have to be honest though,  and admit maybe I'm a little more grateful this time.  







No comments:

Post a Comment