Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Crooked tree

A palm tree between here and Melbourne intrigues me.  It slants slightly toward the river for 15 or 20 feet, then takes a sharp turn away from the river toward US#1.  For the next few feet, it slowly makes its way back towards the river.  A very strange looking tree, but it reminded me of my walk with the Lord.  How?

Things seem to be going very well for a while, then I decide to take over and I take off for parts unknown.  All the while, however, God, in His steadfast love, draws me back to Himself.

For example, I had an appointment with my neurologist this morning.  I've been fussing and fretting about it for weeks.  To go back a few appointments, last summer, I asked the doctor about Alzheimer's tests. I was curious, but he immediately arranged for the test.  It's a simple test of questions, testing memory and ability to concentrate.

I asked the doctor why he gave it to me.  He said Alzheimer's occurs more frequently in women at age 70 and increases even more at age 80.  If I remember correctly, it's 25% of 70 year olds and 50% of 80 year olds. I thought the one test that I did "very well" on would mean no more tests, but I was wrong.  The next appointment, the nurse gave it to me again.  This time I noticed she was writing numbers on the test and I got offended.  Any scoring she does is purely subjective and I wasn't going there.  I was fully ready to go in there this morning and lower the boom.

Before I went, I had my time alone with the Lord.  The Psalmist asked the Lord to be His refuge. Sarah Young often advises the simple calling on Jesus can make a great difference.  I asked the Lord to be my refuge, my shield, my fortress.  As I was praying, I was reminded I was obsessing about this offensive test and asked forgiveness, asking the Lord to be my focus for the day.

The nurse that checked me in was a little cool.  She's also the one who administers the test and takes my weight (UGH). I mentioned I was early because we have to drive 30 miles and I never know what traffic and construction will be like.  She smiled and said she understood.  I then told her about a sign in a bar in Pearl City, Hawaii, that says, "Every road between here and Honolulu is under construction."  That made her laugh.

When it came time for weight, blood pressure, and Alzheimer's test, I cooperated with a smile.  When we got done with the test, I asked her about her writing on it, out of curiosity.  Turns out, each question has a point for each correctly answered question.  She was merely indicating how I answered each questions.  Facts, not opinions, as I had assumed.  We ended up having one of the nicest meetings I've ever had.  I realized I'd had a bad attitude and a chip on my shoulder.  Thanks to the Lord's steadfast love, He took away the chip and the attitude, filled me with His love, and made my appointment much more pleasant for all concerned.

One of the questions on the test asks that world be spelled backwards.  I told her I could quote the books of the New Testament backwards.  She looked at me in awe and said it was impressive.  Not sure why I even mentioned it.  But, I can.  If it keeps the Alzheimer's at bay, I'll do it.

She even complimented me on my handwriting!  She asked if I were a calligrapher!  That is a first. My handwriting is terrible.  I've been practicing and trying to do better because I teach cursive and it's a little hypocritical to have terrible handwriting and feel free to correct boys who don't.  

The doctor's news was also good. All in all, a great day.  The best of it is that God drew me to Himself, corrected my bad attitude and filled me with joy. My tree may be crooked, but it's thriving, by God' wonderful grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment