Thursday, January 1, 2015

What's new?

A very Happy New Year to all.  May it be a great one, or at least better than 2014.  Although, I really shouldn't complain about the past.  God has been so good to bring so many people back into my life I had lost contact with.  It's like we've never been parted.  The friendship took up where we left off and I love it.  If  the Lord blesses me with friendships the way He has in the past, I will be blessed, indeed.

Since it's the first day of the new year, I decided to redo something I did a couple of years ago and already, I'm blessed beyond measure.  A while back, I started out listing the names and attributes of God.  I ended up with spending a year and 1/2 listing all the things I found in Scripture that talk about God.  It was 43 pages of double columns and there were no repeats and didn't begin to cover everything.  Awesome.  With all our computer blowouts, the list has been lost.  That gives me the joy of starting again.  What a joy it was to have my heart and mind opened to this wonderful God who created us, who loves us, and who is worthy of our praise, our obedience, and our love.

For example, did you know He created light BEFORE He created the sun, moon, and stars?  No big theological discovery I admit, but it's the little things that amaze me and delight me.  If you still don't get my drift, try creating light without another source.  See what I mean?  He's God.  He can do anything.

I'm so grateful He knows the future and cares for us in a way that He blocks consequences that would be too devastating.  He drove Adam and Eve from the garden of Eden before that ate from the tree of life so that they wouldn't live forever in their sin.  Thousands of years old and separated from God. Ugh!

I've also decided to memorize one verse or passage of Scripture a week.  I know, I know, it's kind of like my dieting;  going strong one week, not so good the next, and not at all shortly thereafter.  However, try I shall.  Today, I began with II timothy 3:16&17.  "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness so that the man of God will be thoroughly equipped for every good work."  I'm stunned to realize some Christians believe learning Scripture is more a matter of pride than necessity.  How can we be thoroughly equipped if we don't have a thorough knowledge of God's Word?

I'm reminded of II Timothy 3:1-6 where 19 things are described about people in the last days and all are present in our society today, even in our churches.  Sadly, even in me.  I have some work to do.




No comments:

Post a Comment