Monday, September 8, 2014

Shame on me

Shame on me for thinking social media was a waste.  Pardon my snobbery.  I'm meeting so many wonderful people, sharing so many wonderful things, learning still more wonderful things.  Now, I seriously doubt I'll ever be very good at it and sincerely hope I won't get so wrapped up in it I'll neglect family or face-to-face friends.

Made two of those just this past week.  My friend, Connie, invited me for a game of dominoes. Thinking it was the little black plastic ones with the white dots, I agreed.  She kept commenting that the times she'd played the game before, her guests were just learning.  That puzzled me.  I thought every one knew who to play dominoes.

Turns out this is completely different.  The dominoes are white tiles and each set of dots has a different color.  Each player gets a small train.  Starting with the double 12, each player forms her own train-if she has a 12.  If not, she goes to the "bones" and picks up another tile.  The train goes to the head of where her tiles will be.  As long as her train is visible, other players can add to her tile train.  Her train stays in place until she can use her own tile to add to her train.  During the game, one extra train can be started and anyone can play on it.  When one player uses all her tiles, the game starts over with eleven and so on down to the double zero.

It wasn't as hard as it sounds, but the fun part was getting acquainted with Sandra and Lorraine.  They accepted me like a long lost friend.  As a general rule, meeting people for the first time can be awkward, but there was none of that this time.  Perhaps the game was the ice breaker.  Perhaps we were just four people who enjoyed each other's company.  They were so gracious, they even bought my book!  But, that wasn't the reason we had such a good time getting acquainted.

It was such a delight to make friends face to face as well as on line.  On line, there have been so many who have been so gracious and accepting of this computer amateur and I'm grateful  It's always good to start the day grateful, don't you think?

I'm especially grateful for Gideon, his family, and his church.  He's in Kenya and we'll probably never meet this side of heaven, but he, his family, and his church have felt led to pray for me and my ministry.  Every time the negative feelings crop up, here comes a message from Gideon saying they're praying for me.  Thank you Gideon.  And, thank you, internet, for the privilege of meeting and being friends with people like Gideon, his family, and his church.

No comments:

Post a Comment