Friday, September 26, 2014

Attacked!

Ever since we moved into this cottage, we've been trying to get grass to grow to cover the bare, poorly nourished soil.  Grass seed, fertilizer, and top soil have all been applied.  Bob has spent many hours dragging a hose around, watering when it needed it.  Well, the Lord has been gracious in sending lots of rain over the past 8 or 9 days.  And, I do mean lots.

Is the top soil and the grass seed he put down before this started still in place?  Hard to say.  I'm concerned it all washed into the ditch behind the house.  In the front yard, something is growing.  Wish I knew how to take a picture and let you see the bumper crop of toad stool that are flourishing.  Well, at least something is growing.

Unfortunately, there's something else growing in the side yard.  Fire ants.  Nasty little beasts.  It's been documented that they wait until their friends and family have joined them on your person before they attack.  I was busy focusing on controlling the huge golf umbrella as well as the dog's leash, when I realized I hadn't fastened her rain coat properly and moved to set it right.  I didn't want her to pee on her coat. It's a good thing I moved.  As I moved toward her, I felt a sting on my right foot, but more anxious about her messing up her raincoat, I ignored it.  When she squatted, I was too late to do anything about her, so I looked down at my foot to see several fire ants feasting on me.

Umbrella and leash in hand doesn't leave anything to use to crush the little monsters.  Wiping my foot on my pant leg didn't get rid of enough of them.  I could feel them crawling and biting.  Put away the umbrella, undress her, open the door, check her raincoat.  All had to be done before attending to the bites that will now cause me misery for at least a week, maybe more.

We put out fire ant killer several times when we first moved in.  They were all over the place.  We were so successful in getting rid of them, I actually forgot to look for them.  Sneaky as they are, they were biding their time and attacked when I wasn't thinking about them, not remembering they never really go away and return with a vengeance when the ground is wet.

Like the church lady says, "Isn't this special?"

No comments:

Post a Comment