Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Mustard, Ketchup, or Mayonnaise?

Urban Mission in Ohio where I worked as a VISTA, with the assignment of procuring goods and services for the mission, had a four story storage building.  It was an old building and moving goods around was sometimes difficult because the floor was uneven.  The wooden ramps kept breaking and I was asked to get an unbreakable one so the forklift could move across the floor with less difficulty. The fellow who ran the forklift grumbled, "If you can get an unbreakable ramp, I'll eat my hat."  We had a titanium ramp the next day-unbreakable.

In the staff meeting that morning, I asked Ronny if he wanted mustard, ketchup, or mayonnaise with his hat.

I may have to do the same with my words regarding voting.  I have adamantly insisted that I would not vote for Trump, but would do a write-in vote.  I was quite sure.  Now, I'm waffling.  Not, I assure you because I believe I would be voting for the lesser of two evils.  Nor because I'm afraid of the current administration continuing on its destructive path.  All of which may happen regardless how I feel. And definitely not because I have changed my opinion of the man.

When I said I would do a write in vote, I believed I was taking a stand for what I believed to be right. But, then the Lord reminded me when Israel was taken captive to Babylon, He told the people to settle in, work, build homes-in other words go on with life as though they were still in Israel and not captives in Babylon. Some did, some didn't.  The disobedient ones suffered.

It reminded me that we are to occupy until Jesus comes.  He doesn't promise that our occupation will be in a rose garden.  Even if it were, roses are thorny beauties, so there's problems no matter where we are.  I'm also reminded that the Lord chooses our leaders.

Someone recently told me that God was voting in the election.  No, He's not pulling the lever, campaigning, or filling in an absentee ballot, but the choice is His.  If Donald Trump is God's choice, He has His reasons and I'm called to trust Him, no matter who wins.  At this point, it looks more and more like Donald Trump.  Pass the mayonnaise, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment