Sunday, March 6, 2016

A great big IF

I learned a lesson this morning that may not be pleasant but it was necessary.  Our church has a dinner almost every other week after the service.  The meal is provided, but women in the congregation are asked to bring desserts. (The men at the ranch cook the meal)  I try to pick up a dessert on Saturday, but didn't get it done. so I raced off to Subway this morning and bought 2 dozen cookies before the service. The woman who waited on me was delighted to hear about the meal at the church and I invited her to come anytime she had off.  She laughed at the idea of being off work on Sunday.  It hit me.  As a Christian, when I shop on Sunday for any reason, isn't it rather hypocritical of me to want everyone to worship and yet, my actions rob them of the opportunity?  This has been jokingly discussed on several occasions over the years.  I intend to not only repent but to remember to make the Lord's Day truly His.  I'll stay out of any business as much as I can.

Having confessed, I also have to confess I've been thinking about hypocrisy regarding Trump over the past few days. I have said on several occasions I will vote for him only if I have to.  However, if I vote for the lesser of evils, I'm still voting for evil.  This, too, has often been discussed among Christians.  I am disenfranchised regardless who I vote for if I vote for someone who's hypocrisy is so evident. Kimberly Guilfoyle remarked refusing to vote for Trump is a vote for Hllary and there has been a time I have agreed with that.

However, I have come to see Donald Trump as a male version of Hillary Clinton and vice versa. Therefore, a vote for Donald Trump is still a vote for Hillary Clinton.  Their policies and prevarications are so similar.

Then, too, Trump's complained that the reason the IRS is auditing him is that he's being persecuted because he's a Christian. Really.  Christianity begins in the spirit, not good works.  That spark in the spirit comes by responding to the call of the Holy Spirit.  Mr. Trump has said he's never felt the need to ask God's forgiveness for anything.  Really.  No matter how much he does in the way of good works, it won't make him a Christian.  And, it's been said he's done good works.  He's been generous to many people, I'm told. Good for him.

But, God's Word says we are saved by grace through faith and it has nothing to do with ourselves so we cannot boast about anything.  We can shout from the housetops that we are Christians, but the truth is only God knows who is and who isn't.  We can, however tell a lot from a person's lifestyle and his lifestyle hasn't been all that Christian. From all appearances, he's depending on his works. I assume that's why he brags about them so much. God also says if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing. (Gal 2:21) Who would want to belong to a god who could be so cruel, he would send his son to die for everyone else's sins and still allow other ways to him? There is one way to God and that's through faith in Jesus Christ. Not because I said so, but because God said it.

The hypocrisy continues.  Trump has pronounced at every opportunity that manufacturing jobs need to return to America.  Mr. Trump, how about your clothing factory in China?  If he really believe that it would go a long way if he would be the first.  He needs to be noble, live up to his statement. Let others follow his example. To do otherwise would be hypocritical.

Talk about shouting from the housetops.  He's talked ad nauseum about illegal aliens and how he'll send them back to their own country-or to Mexico, at least.  Yet, who is doing construction on his buildings? Hypocrisy.

Do I have the right to call his actions hypocritical when I started by admitting my own?  Yes.  We all at some point or another say one thing and do another.  I try to recognize mine and correct it.  And, I'm not running for the most powerful position in the world.  Yes, my hypocrisy hurts those who know me and grieves my Lord.  I guess I'm just trying to say I don't understand people who will vote for Trump no matter what, totally blind to his hypocrisy. The Bible says to speak the truth in love. My words may not seem loving, but warning others of danger is loving, no matter how they're taken.

Having said all that, I have come very close to the decision that if Donald Trump is the nominee for the Republican Party, I will make my statement that I am a Christian first, a conservative second and a Republican third by writing in another name.  If those 54 million Christians who didn't vote in the last election would do the same, we'd stand a better chance to defeating Trump/Clinton or Clinton/Trump.

I will vote for Trump IF  he:
1.  Brings his clothing factory back to America from China:
2.  Sends the illegals back to their own country and hires only Americans in America:
3.  Learns to be quiet when his opponents are talking:
4.  Owns up to all his many business failures:
5.  Settles the university lawsuit out of court with full recompense:
6.  Stops calling his opponents names:
7.  Treats women with respect:
8.  Releases his tax and financial statements:
9.  Announces in detail policies, instead of vague, illegal promises he has to walk back.
10. Somehow manages to get his wife's nude photos off the internet.
11. The Lord sends a very strong sign that it's His will I vote for him.

Like I said, it's a very big if.


No comments:

Post a Comment