Friday, March 11, 2016

Betrayed-again

If I don't have to tutor boys at school, I read.  Last week, I had the privilege to start reading, "A More Perfect Union," by Dr. Ben Carson.  Or so I thought.  Until this morning.  Ben Carson is supporting Donald Trump and speculation as to why is going through the roof.  I won't speculate, but I have thought of the Scriptures that remind us to remain faithful. I don't see Dr. Carson as having done that.
Ben Carson's biography told how he rose from abject poverty and a mother who waffled between moments of brilliance and hospitalization for emotional breakdowns.  If only all mothers could achieve the success she did in rearing her sons, this world would be a better place by far. Carson's autobiography is a study in how God places those in His hand who place their trust in Him.  To rise from a failing student to the world's greatest pediatric neurosurgeon is a feat only God could have directed.

And, until this morning, I read his book in amazement.  He nailed so many principles on which this country was built.  I had planned to copy many of them to reread once I had completed the book and passed it on. I was especially taken by his sentence on page 32.  It reads, "As soon as we begin overlooking abuse of power by an official who is a member of our own party, we become part of the problem."

Barry Goldwater said in his first book one thing he admired (envied) about the Democrats was their loyalty to their party.  I agree.  Democrats, from my perspective, tend to vote their emotions and their loyalty.  Until this year, I had  thought that Republicans voted their logic.  Sometimes we've had to hold our noses while voting because Republicans weren't that much better than Democrats.  Now, I'm not so sure they're any better at all. Over 60% of Republicans agree with me on the current front runner.

It's often been said by many Republicans that Trump is no Republican and indeed, he's never indicated what he's donated to Republicans, but donations to Democrats have been many and large. It was Trump who took the debate to the gutter.  He's pandered to the angers of the middle class instead of raising us up as did Ronald Reagan.  He took the first debate to the boxing ring and the only time he left was the debate in which he refused to appear.  Apparently, he behaved himself in last night's debate and, fortunately Rubio didn't go down to that gutter Trump rose out of.  (I didn't watch because the debates had gotten so vile and embarrassing.) As for Trump, his statement of how everyone was so civil reminded me of a dear friend. She used to say she was tired of our boss throwing manure and coming out smelling like a rose. That, to me, fits Trump to a T.  How could Dr. Carson have been so duped?

Dr. Carson seemed rather reluctant to forgive Cruz and had he refused to back him, I would have understood, but to back someone who likened him to a pedophile, well to be honest, his move this morning boggles the imagination, muddies the waters, and disappoints me beyond words. I trusted him to the point I was going to write his name on the ballot if Trump were the nominee and I was going to use Carson's very words to support my decision.

Is it any wonder my favorite verse during election times is Psalm 118:8? "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in men."

No comments:

Post a Comment