Monday, July 14, 2014

Watching grass grow

When we moved in last winter, our yard was scarred with several ugly bare spots, consisting of hard, dry, poor soil left bare by the fellow who fixed the septic system last summer.  We made it a priority to begin watering, weeding, and feeding in an attempt to get something green to grow.

We're very grateful for all the rain we've had so far this year, making the watering chore a lot easier.  However, for the first couple of purchases, we made the mistake of buying fertilizer only, which produced a bumper crop of sand burrs in the backyard instead of grass.

One Saturday, I got busy pulling them. I like to pull weeds.  It's very relaxing.  My mind wanders while my hands methodically pull.  Who knows what great feats of daring do my mind was accomplishing, keeping me from noticing two black snakes that wanted to be in the same space I was occupying?  I didn't see them, I felt them slithering across my foot.  Typical female response, I started screaming and stamping my feet.  I managed to kick them in front of the shed and started to pull again.  Lo, and behold, one of them came back to try and become acquainted again!

I have to say I like black snakes.  I do.  In Florida, we have the poisonous coral snake. Years ago, I read the pharmaceutical company stopped making the antidote.  Wasn't profitable.  Now what?  If you're bitten, do you just die, too bad, so sad?  Supposedly, black snake kill coral snakes, so as long as they're in the yard, I feel safer.  I just prefer they keep their distance.

But, I don't like weeds. They remind me of sin.  Either you root them out or they come back with a vengeance. Sand burrs aren't too hard to get up, if the ground is soft from rain. Crab grass is another story, and for the moment, I think I'll let it grow.  At least, it's green and isn't something that sticks to the dog's paws.

Some sin is harder to root out than others, too.  I hope I remember that when I see the crab grass spreading and work a little harder at rooting out those things in my heart that grieve my Lord.  Scripture memory and prayer are not only nourishment for the soul, but will also make me aware of the weeds that need rooting out. There's work to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment