Thursday, July 24, 2014

Too much?

Don't know if it's kosher to post more than once in a day, but I happened to remember that today would have been my parents' 81st anniversary.  Mother was 24, and Dad, 22, when they eloped.  They were married more than 55 years when Dad died on December 7, 1988.

Marrying in 1933 must have taken a lot of courage.  It was in the middle of the Great Depression and neither came from riches.  Mother often told me that Dad was making $5 a week by the time my oldest brother was born in November, 1934.  Dad drove a school bus for a living and Mother was a homemaker.

She was proud of their ability to not only live as a family of 3 on that tiny amount (by today's standards), but they were also putting money into a savings account.  How did they do it?

In some ways, we've come so far, and in some ways, we could learn valuable lessons from those who endured those hard times, not only with courage, but with dignity and nobility.  It makes me proud to call them my parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment