Monday, February 22, 2016

Holy is the Lord

This morning's Bible reading in Numbers reminded me again that God is holy.  A friend once said we must be careful not to become legalistic.  Is that worse than becoming casual and careless about the holiness of God?

I'm referring to the verses that warned Israelites not to touch holy things.  One man touched the ark and paid the ultimate price.  I'm sometimes concerned that we Christians in America don't really understand what holy means.  I'm concerned that we pay lip service to the word and excuse ourselves for our behavior, our language, our emotions, our perspectives, and our motives.

Ravi Zacharias has spent the the past two messages talking about the meaning of worship and I must admit, I was convicted by his words.  And I was convicted by the word holy this morning as I read.  I do not wish to presume on God's grace and mercy, but at the same time I want to depend on Him for His grace and mercy.  Don't ask me to explain that.  I can't, except to say maybe one is my demand upon God and the other is the grateful receipt of what He has so freely offered me.

I cringe when people say they believe in the God of second chances-and blithely continue to change nothing of their lifestyle.  That's presuming on God's grace and mercy. However, when I sin, I must depend on God's grace and mercy to forgive me when I ask because He said He would, not because I deserve it, but because He is God and He said He would.

God calls us to be holy as He is holy and because He is holy.  A tall order, an impossible one in the flesh.  Thank God for the sacrifice He made on our behalf on the cross and thank God for the Comforter He sent when Jesus ascended into heaven.  

Keep me faithful, Lord I pray.  Teach me the true meaning of holy and worship.  You are worthy of that and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment