Saturday, February 20, 2016

Farewell

The official farewell to Antonin Scalia was done today with great dignity, pomp, and ceremony. Kudos to FNC for televising the entire two hours.  I'm sorry I only caught the second hour, but what I saw was impressive.  It would have been even better if I could have watched it with a Catholic friend.

That way, I could have had lots of my questions answered.  For example, there were many different ceremonial robes.  I would liked to learn the significance of each one and what rank each carried. What did the embroidery stand for on the coffin and the priest's robe?  What did each of the colors stand for?  A former nun once told me that so much of the colors and ceremony were designed to help people understand what they believed because in the Dark Ages, very few could read.  Hence, the visuals.

One fellow seemed to know and direct the others throughout the service.  He could be seen whispering a few words into someone's ear or turning the page as Scalia's son read the message.  It was very touching that Scalia's son could do his dad's funeral so meaningfully, reserving his emotions for a private time and place.

I appreciated the solemnity of the proceedings because it reminded me this nation has lost a great man.  It makes me very sad to think about it and gave the service an even deeper meaning. I also appreciated all of the service I heard was a message of worship of the Lord rather than eulogizing the man.  That may have been done in the first hour, but all too often, funerals and eulogies make the person greater than they actually were in life.  Not so this time.  This was a time of worshipping the God in  whom Antonin Scalia placed his faith.  It was as it should be.  Funerals are to be a type of worship and this service certainly a good example of that.

Farewell, Antonin Scalia.  We who lived in the world you helped to shape are in your debt and are praying the one who replaces you will follow in your foot steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment