Monday, December 21, 2015

Own it

In Jane Austen speak, today I'm two and seventy.  And proud of it.  God has given me 72 wonderful years and I say what's the sense of hiding it?  I had an aunt that changed her birth certificate so often, her daughter said it was unreadable.  Why?  It doesn't change the facts.  So, here I am.  72 years old. What's next, Lord?

This morning, we walked down by the river, hoping to see the sunrise.  Unfortunately, it was too cloudy, but it was windy and very cool.  More like Christmas weather.  Loved it.  Loved that gray sky.  I loved it even more because it was my sweet husband's suggestion.  He doesn't often make suggestions.

A friend played the cello during the singing in church today and we sang several carols.  Loved that. I hear bass tones more than tenor and soprano, so the carols sounded better.  Carols aren't played publicly that much anymore and it breaks my heart.  I've told Wal-Mart that carols make me want to shop.  If they want to be politically correct and skip them, that's their loss. Go ahead.  Shoot themselves in the foot.

After church, there was a dinner and that was lovely.  It's a great way to grow closer to those who attend the same church, have the same values, and care about one another.  Our world is so busy, so wrapped up in activity and staying in contact electronically, it's nice to have warm chats with others face to face.  It's old-fashioned and even young people are complaining about electronic contact missing something.  It gives me hope that the old-fashioned way of face to face will someday be seen for the wonderful thing it is and others will return to it.

Facebook has posted many Happy Birthday wishes from friends and acquaintances all over the country.  That's made me smile, too.  Just hung up after talking to a friend in Mississippi who always calls me on my birthday and vice versa.  One son called the day before and the other son called late in the evening.  Icing on the cake.  All in all, it's been a lovely day.  Having my foot in two different worlds can be confusing and frustrating, but it can also be beautiful and memorable.

I have to say I've had a lovely life.  I often think about my junior English class in high school.  We were asked to write an essay about what we'd do if we knew we'd be blind in a year.  I said I'd want to travel and see places that I could store in my memory.  Well, 33 moves in 52 years fulfilled that dream.

I'm a people person.  Love getting acquainted and learning about people.  Needless to say, all those moves have made it possible to make many friends in many places.  The memories I have of the wonderful people I've met would fill volumes.

Going to college was expected of me and my dream as well, but I didn't finish.  Instead, I married the man of my dreams and did all that traveling.  Our loving Lord opened the doors for me to finish at Moody Bible Institute after the boys were gone from home.  God is so good.  I'm reminded of a chorus we used to sing in the 70's "All I had to offer Him was brokenness and strife, but He made something beautiful of my life."  It's so true.  I've made so many mistakes, done so many stupid things, but He's taken it all and made it beautiful.

Those sons have become fine men who've made us so proud.  And, they've given us four wonderful grandchildren and a great grandson.  Can't ask for more than that.  Dealing with boys at school who come from so much chaos in their lives, I can only say thank you for the way God has worked in our family.

Speaking of the boys I now work with, it's given me purpose and meaning.  It looks like I'm one of those who's going to burn out instead of rust out.  Thank you, Lord. While my memories are precious and the culture of today is going in a direction I don't understand or like, I still have work to do and if I can be relevant in this day and age, I'm grateful-just so I can do it without all the gadgets!

Although, I do have to say the gadgets have their advantages, too.  It's been a lifelong dream to write and it's finally come to pass, thanks to the computer.  Thanks to Facebook, Linked In, Pinterest, et al, I can stay in contact with friends and loved ones all over the world, meet and make new friends, and even learn more about the world we live in.  I have to say that's one good thing about the gadgets I fight with that everyone else loves.  I've been quite repetitive, haven't I?  Typical of people my age.  Live with it.  I have to.  24/7.  It's not that bad for you.  Then too, your day is coming!  I just got here first.

So, again, I ask, what's next, Lord?  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment