Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Farewell, Christmas

Round trip completed safely, thank You, Lord. Gifts opened, expressions of gratitude made, good food eaten. Gift wrap in the trash. Wonderful family memories made. Today, the trees came down. Lights out. Decorations boxed and stored.  Glitter vacuumed (most of it). All over till next year.

Bob made the comment it's a good thing it comes only once a year. Daughter-in-law said that's what birthdays do-come once a year.  Thanks, Deb, for recognizing what we are actually celebrating, the birth of Jesus Christ.

However, it was harder to find Him this year than ever.  There are fewer carols playing in stores-humbug to them.  I shop much more when I hear carols.  The word "merry" can be seen about everywhere, but "Christmas" not so much.

Santas are everywhere.  I have no real problem with that, as long as Jesus is seen more.  My favorite ornament is Santa kneeling at the manger.  Yes, we told our children about Santa, but we also told them about Saint Nicholas, so they could make the connection of celebrating Jesus' birthday with exchanging gifts.

The news said that purchases were up a whopping 8% this year. Should make stores happy. However, since they're not willing to honor the traditions of the season,why is it being done?  I have to wonder if generations older than me felt the same way I do now when they saw traditions they held dear be ignored or even ridiculed as one woman did on "The Five" yesterday.  She said on another program her comments sometimes cause people to threaten her. I won't do that, but her comment was very disappointing.

I keep hoping that next year will be better. This was a wonderful year, don't get me wrong.  However, I did not feel there was much in the way of worship of the King of kings, the Prince of Peace, Immanuel.

Maybe it's a good thing Christmas is at the end of the year.  A week later, we make resolutions to do better next year. That's my number 1 resolution for 2016.  I want to worship Him, know Him, obey Him, and draw closer to Him.  Maybe we need to come up with a stronger word than "resolution" so we'll actually do what we say we want to do.

We say Happy New Year.  It will be much happier for me if I keep that resolution.
















No comments:

Post a Comment