Sunday, June 7, 2015

Friends

It's so good to get with friends and just enjoy each other.  Because of such busy lives, it's not always easy to do, but thanks to Connie's persistence, we've been reunited and now are able to see each other more often.

We met at a church we all attended years ago.  Then, Connie moved.  Shortly thereafter, we moved, too.  Helen, bless her, not only stayed put, but she and Connie stayed in contact.  When Connie reestablished contact with me after 11 years and another move to this area, I was doubly blessed because I not only had Connie's friendship, I had Helen's.

Helen has the gift of administration.  I admire her abilities to focus and accomplish worthwhile work. This easily distracted scatter brain is humbled in her presence.  She's also has a beautiful voice, and is an all-around beautiful person.  I cherish her friendship.

Connie has the gift of entertainment.  She's also an excellent cook.  Helen and I met at her place and we just talked.  And had a fabulous lunch.  And talked some more.  We didn't need to shop.  We didn't need entertainment.  We didn't need a restaurant.  We had the sweet friendship of just talking. That's such a wonderful way to spend time.   Relax, breathe, and exercise our jaws.  Lovely. Delightful.

For those friends who live too far away to do that, there's Facebook and the telephone. I've loved reconnecting with Bettyann, Sharon, Jeanne, Karen, Nancy, Jessie, Joyce, Edith, and Sandra, to name a few. Those who are from my childhood, I had, for the most part lost contact, but Facebook and email made it possible to reconnect.  For those I met as an adult I have been able to maintain friendship through the phone and email.

Isn't it wonderful to be living in a time when we have devices at our disposal that keep us in touch? When I think of people in history who left their family and friends behind, never to see them again, and only able to depend on the mail to stay in contact, I am grateful for telephones, email, and Face time.  Then too, today we have fast cars and Interstates as well as airplanes that can swiftly bring family and friends together.

Eric Bolling, of "The Five" has mentioned a TV program he likes because "It's all about relationships."  I've noticed the same thing.  "Star Trek" and "Battlestar Gallactica" had all these weird looking creatures getting into all these conflicts, but always also involved in relationships with other members on board of their space ships.  It is truly all about relationships.

Of course, the greatest relationship is with Jesus Christ.  Without that, life is a meaningless scramble for purpose as well as the angst of getting the most out of life.

I started out talking about my time with Connie and Helen, mentioning some of the reasons I admire them.  So what do I bring to the table in this friendship?  You'd have to ask them, but if I were to hazard a guess, it's probably that I was their Sunday School teacher and they appreciate the fact my desire for them is that Jesus is their Best Friend, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment