Friday, December 5, 2014

Prayer answered

This morning, I received a letter from a missionary in Kenya.  This dear man, his dear wife and his church have placed me on their prayer list.  He often writes they're praying for me-at the exact time I need it and without any contact from me.  It's so humbling and gratifying to know God sends a messenger of grace and comfort when my world is falling apart.

Twice now, he's sent me a letter requesting prayer for the people of Kenya he serves.  One of his ministries is a orphanage.  The first time he had a specific request, it was for a 23 year old woman who could not afford care and she was in excruciating pain.  In Kenya, hospitals are only for those who can afford it and as a daughter of a pastor who died, she couldn't afford it.  Apparently, in Kenya, they still have a patriarchal society.  (Wish we did).  Anyway, sometime later, he wrote to say prayer had been answered and  her pain had subsided.  She was able to resume her daily activities.

This morning's message was again, an urgent prayer request.  In some parts of the country Christians are being persecuted.  Last week, 26 were taken from a bus, their arms broken, shot, and killed. Tuesday morning, people working in a quarry were attacked.  They were forced to read a Koran.  If they couldn't, the threat of impending death was issued.

In a mosque, the announcement was made that Christians must leave immediately.  There are no funds for flights and no public transportation is working.  We are so clueless.  If you're one who believes in prayer, please do so.

On a much lighter note, God answers little prayer as well as great ones. When our grandson was here last year to celebrate our 50th anniversary, he said he would not be participating in the senior trip this year.  It was too expensive.  Israel was too dangerous.  Has he ever changed his tune since someone stepped up anonymously and paid 75% of the bill!  His other grandparents will pay 20%.  He'll have the remaining 5% by time needed, I'm sure.  God is so good.

Now, why has God privileged a privileged 18 year old boy with a trip to Israel and allows Christians in Kenya to suffer the way they have?  His thoughts and ways are not ours, that's for sure.  I only know I must be grateful for what He does that we see as good and trust Him when things aren't good from a human perspective.  He loves the Kenyans and yet, He's allowing them to suffer.  This has happened down through history.  Only 1 apostle died a natural death.  Many Christians lived in the catacombs under Rome, were fed to lions, used as target practice for warriors, etc.  Joan of Arc was burned at the stake.  The list goes on.  Right now, 2 of the boys are reading about modern day martyrs whose story affects me to this day.  "Through Gates of Splendor," "The End of the Spear" tells their story.  Why god chooses them to suffer and not me is beyond me.  I only know He's worthy of trust, obedience and worship.

I'm pretty sure I'll be too humble to speak when I meet those martyrs in heaven.  Just keep me faithful, Lord, no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment