Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Look up!

When things get as crazy as they have been of late, Christians sometimes tend to get discouraged, but this morning, I was so very encouraged as I read my Bible and spent time in prayer.  Yes, this is a very challenging time, but we serve the same Lord that the Apostle Paul served and our challenges are no where near what he endured.  

Sunday, we had a missionary speak and then show slides at church.  It's amazing what God is doing in Togo, Africa.  Recently, I had a magazine from "Voice of the Martyrs" about the Middle East.  People there are suffering greatly, but rejoicing as they do.  They are seeing Muslims turn to Christ in droves.  God is at work in the Middle East.

Seeing more and more Christian movies come out of Hollywood says God is at work there, too.

All of that reminds me of Pilgrim's Progress.  Christian observes a man in a cell, crawling around in the straw and mud, desperately looking for wealth when all the while, an angel hovers over him with a gold crown.  All he has to do is look up!

I want to be one of those who looks up.  I'm tired of being dragged down by the news and the media twisting it to make it seem even worse than it is.  Scare mongering.  Regardless what happens, I'm very sure of two things.  1.  God put me here on this earth at this time in history for His purposes.  2.  He will never leave me.  So, why should I be down because things are not working out the way I think they should? Haven't I been saying over and over again that God's way is best?  If I say it, I must also believe it.

That's one of the reasons I love reading the letters missionaries send to the church.  No matter what's going on in my life, no matter how bleak things look, I am blessed to know that God is at work at some place in the world.  He's working here, too.  Sometimes we don't see it because He's not working in the way we want Him to.

My boss recently told me about Daniel Webster, who is seeking to be Speaker of the House.  Even Fox News is ignoring him.  They want Paul Ryan.  Trouble is, Paul Ryan doesn't want the job.  As I prayed, I realized that if it's the Lord's will that Daniel Webster be the next Speaker of the House, no one will keep him out.  It just takes so much off my shoulders to trust the Lord to work things out, instead of campaigning, whining, and generally making a nuisance of myself in front of God and everybody.

It's the same for the elections that are coming up.  God will choose our leaders for His purpose and I will continue to look up.


No comments:

Post a Comment