Sunday, September 20, 2015

Trump or trumped?

The news (but not Facebook) has been pounding Trump because he didn't stop the member of his audience from calling Obama a Muslim.  What shocks me is that even though I am deaf in one ear, I caught something NO ONE ELSE has caught-at least no one has said anything.  As the questioner was proclaiming Obama a Muslim, Trump very quietly mumbled, "Right."

Now, to be fair to Mr. Trump, he may not have been agreeing with the man who was speaking.  There's been many times I've nodded to let the person talking know I'm really listening instead of actually agreeing with them.  I get the sense he was doing that more than agreeing with the man's statement.

However, it did bring up something this morning that brought cold chills.  A Republican and a Democrat were on FNC discussing the situation.  As an aside, I must say it's the first time both parties acted with dignity.  Usually, they're talking over one another and I get disgusted, not information.  This time, each man let the other speak.  What ran my blood cold was that the Democrat said he expected all other debates to be about whether each and every candidate is willing to say Obama is or is not a Christian.  If I'm not mistaken, he said the candidates would be DEMANDED  to give their answer.

GOTCHA!

No matter what the candidate says, it's going to really upset some people and cost the candidate votes, which, of course, is the whole purpose of the question. Those who believe Obama is a Christian will refuse to listen to anything else if the candidate says no. Those who believe he is a Muslim will not listen to anything else if the candidate declares they believe Obama to be a Christian.

The problem is, no one knows the truth about anyone but God and the individual.  Jesus said we'd be known by our fruit, making it easier to pass judgment on some more than others, but then Jesus also plainly stated we are not to judge others.  I might even go so far as to say anyone who declares him to be a Christian might want to seek God's forgiveness for usurping His authority.

It's what God says about us that counts.  It may not even be what we say about ourselves that counts.  Jesus also said there would be those who called on Him and He would say,"Depart from Me, I never knew you." He also says that His sheep know Him and His voice.  No one will snatch them out of the His hand. By judging others are weakening God's grace? Only God knows who's been forgiven and who hasn't really asked. Nor do I want to cheapen God's grace and call someone is a Christian when I don't know anyone's heart but my own. That's not to say our actions don't give away what's in our hearts and certainly Obama has been more gracious to Muslims than Christians, so I can understand why people feel that way.  In fact, the Lord convicted me of saying it myself.  I now choose to say He's in God's hands and that's where I'll leave him.

Pastor Andy Stanley (YOUR MOVE) did several excellent messages on this very subject not long ago. He pointed out Christians cross a very broad spectrum. It was his contention we'd do better to call ourselves a "follower, a disciple, a learner." With that mindset, we are more likely to be like Christ and leave no doubt where we stand.

There are those who call themselves a Christian by default - not a Muslim, Bhuddist, Shintoist, Wiccan, atheist, agnostic, etc. On the other end of the spectrum is a type of paranoid legalism that decides anyone who does something they believe to be wrong is not a Christian.  You know the type.  "If you do _________, you're not a Christian.  I once had a 16 year old cousin who was 3 months pregnant when she married say I wasn't a Christian because I had on lipstick.  Or, "If you don't do____________, you're not a Christian.  I've been declared a heathen for not having long hair and not always wearing a dress.  There's even the dear souls who proclaim if you don't belong to their denomination, you're not a Christian. An Episcopalian did that to me many years ago and she's not the only one.  You get the picture.

Therefore, if I were on that stage, being asked to declare whether or not Obama is a Christian as a litmus test to my ability to lead this country, I would answer with a strong,  "I don't know, and neither do you.  Only God knows.  When I stand before God in eternity, He will not ask me one single question about Obama. He will ONLY ask me about my relationship with Jesus Christ."

Of course, any candidate who refuses to take the bait will be accused of weaseling out, like Carly Fiorina was accused of weaseling out on the question on which woman should be on the $10 bill.  I thought her answer was perfect. She's cracked the glass ceiling without being militant about her rights.  I am so far from the glass ceiling, I can't even see it, let alone crack it.  The need to put a woman on the $10 bill is a gesture, hoping to placate women's libbers who see unfairness at every turn.  It's a futile gesture.  Woman who demand it will not be satisfied and women like me have more important things to be concerned about.  I'm sure there are those who think I'm weaseling out about Obama's spiritual condition.  Think what you will, I can't stop you.  I'm only trying to say it's God's choice, not mine.  AND, it has no place in the political debate whatsoever.  There is NO right answer for any of the candidates.  They're wrong if they do and they're wrong if they don't.

It's highly annoying that the question shows the interest is only in ratings and money.  Media moguls and journalists are wealthy and influential and the best they can come up with is what do we think about Obama's spiritual condition?  Have we dumbed ourselves down as much politically as we have our children educationally?

That question makes the journalist a panderer, a pimp to his station.  It certainly has nothing to do with seeking to inform the country as to how those 16 would govern this country for the next 4-8 years.  It shows the journalist's bias.  Do anything to bring down a Republican.  It shows the network's greed.  Anything for money and ratings.  It's no wonder so many of them have lost their audience.

Me being me, I would also say to the narrator, "I don't know where you stand, either.  That's between you and God and I hope, for your sake, your answer agrees with God's."



No comments:

Post a Comment