Tuesday, March 10, 2015

What can I say?

This morning's Bible study jolted me.  Galations 5:19-21 says: "the acts of the sinful nature are obvious:  sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like.  I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of GOD."

Very powerful words that I have often glossed over.  I can't think of anyone who's avoided one or more of those acts of the sinful nature at some point in their lives.  That makes me wonder who then can be saved?  And does inheriting the kingdom of God mean the kingdom while we're here on earth or in heaven?  I'm sure there are proponents of both interpretations.

However, Revelation 21:8 says, "But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars-their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur.  This is the second death."  This verse leaves no doubt it's talking about the kingdom in heaven, rather than just missing the abundant life on earth that Jesus promised in John 10.

The list in Galations is longer and some of the list is different than the one in Revelation 21.  The sexually immoral are mentioned in both, as are idolators.  It troubles me that so much of both is going on in the church.  That's why I wrote the book-to try to show the sexually immoral God's way is best. But, something kept nagging at me.

It's well established that gluttony is a form of idolatry.  Seeking comfort in food, means food has become more important than the Lord in my life.  How can I tell people God's way is best if I'm not following it either?  That's not to say I haven't sought release from something that has kept me in bondage since I was 13 years old.  And, it's not to say I doubt my salvation.  It means I've never stopped trying to find the abundant life in Christ that He promised, but until now have been going at it the wrong way.

Now, I believe I've found it.  The Bible study I spoke of has finally shown me the problem.  Instead of trying to please the Lord by dieting, I need to please the Lord by seeking Him.  Until I was willing to give up the food and seek Him for comfort, for pleasure, I was bound to fail.  Whether I lose weight or not has become secondary or maybe even third, fourth or fifth in what's important.

In Jesus Calling, Sarah Young says, "Save your best striving for seeking My Face.  I am constantly communicating with you.  To find Me and hear My voice, you must seek Me above all else. Anything that you desire more than Me becomes an idol."

Isaiah 55:2 says,  "Why spend your money on that which is not bread, and your labor on that which does not satisfy?  Listen diligently to me, and eat what is good and delight yourselves in rich food."

In Jesus Today, Page 144, Sarah Young writes, "When you are going through very tough times and there is no relief in sight, you usually start looking for a way out.  These escapist longings stem from self-pity and a sense of entitlement:  You think you deserve better..."  She then quotes Revelation 21:8 and I see that as the place where cowardice comes in.  Eating to escape painful circumstances rather that trusting the One Who promises to go with me "through the valley of the shadow of death" is cowardly.

"Search me, O god, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.  See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting."  In the 1970's there was a very popular saying:  "Be patient.  God's not finished with me, yet."

Keep going.  The change is fantastic.  Galations 5:22, 23 says, "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control."  Against such things there is no law." To realize the enormous change He makes in our lives may have been the biggest jolt.  To think of what He puts  in place of all that trash in verses 19-21 is so worth believing in Him and seeking His face.  Chocolate and pizza can't begin to hold a candle to what He has for us.  Thank You, Lord, for Your patience with me.



No comments:

Post a Comment