Saturday, November 8, 2014

Starting over

Ever notice how God cares for you in spite of the things you do to mess yourself up?  Recently, I mentioned that Bob has had his blocked arteries improve dramatically.  That is a miracle.  We are very grateful.

Did I mention how selfishly I took the news?  He's scarfing down Cheetos and garlic butter like there's not tomorrow and has actually improved, while Yours Truly faced the threat of diabetes.  Until yesterday.  I have neuropathies in my feet and the natural assumption is that they're caused by diabetes.

The doctor threw me a curve by ordering the long glucose tolerance test-you know- drinking goop sweet enough to give even me a headache.  Then, blood is drawn periodically over a 2 1/2 hour period.  I was in the hospital 4 1/2 hours.  (Thank you, Obamacare, for all that ridiculous paperwork)  By the time I walked out, I had a headache, a cold sweat, exhausted, and shaking like a leaf.  Hadn't eaten since 9:00 the night before-serious business for someone who eats way too much.  I'm not one of those capable of living off the fat of the land.  Once I get hungry, I eat or I get sick.

Here's where the goodness and grace of God comes in.  Just before I took the test, Sarah Young again touched my heart with her wisdom.  She mentioned that whatever is done to the body can help or hinder the soul.  I've known for years that my reasons for eating too much were spiritually harmful, but somehow, her words had an impact.

When I saw the high numbers on the test, I heard a wake up call-loud and clear.  So, I've begun a new-for the zillionth time, to eat right, exercise, and generally live a healthy life.

Our God is so amazing.  When I saw the doctor yesterday, he announced I do NOT have diabetes!  All my envy of Bob's situation was wasted.  However, all my efforts since I saw the results of the test have not gone to waste.  I feel better this week than I have in a long time.  I know that the power of God is there for me to do the right thing.  I also know how weak I am.  Pray for me that this is the last time I've started over.  Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment