Sunday, October 11, 2015

Open Windows

The windows of heaven opened on me this past week, especially today, and blessings have fallen too much to keep to myself.  I have the privilege of being the missionary liaison at our church, which means that I read all the letters and literature that comes in, report any special situations to the pastor and about once a month, inform the congregation of the work God is doing in some place in the world.  That ministry, in of itself, is a tremendous blessing.  It opens my eyes to an entirely new perspective regarding the lives of others. Americans often boast about our country being the greatest in the world. All too often, we forget to thank God for what He has done for our country.

This morning, a missionary from the country of Togo spoke in the morning service.  He is caring for almost 300 children and has only recently been able to install toilets for 300 children!   The pastor asked him about air conditioning in Africa.  Of course, there is none.  I can't imagine living in a country on the equator without air conditioning.  It was hard enough for 9 days in Florida.

Earlier in the week, I had the privilege of listening to a man who is a travels between Chattanooga, Tennessee, and Nicaragua.  The pastor announced that since I had been so wonderfully blessed listening to this missionary, I would soon be giving a report on what I learned!

Yesterday was the flea market where I sell my books and am privileged to meet so many wonderful people, one of whom is the daughter of a woman who has sold many Christian books.  She put me in contact with her mother, who has, in turn, helped me in many ways to seek other avenues to sell future books.  Not only did she like my book, she sent it to her mother, and suggested the possibility that her sister might be willing to do the cover of my next book!

Before the message, there is a time of welcoming where we meet and greet others in the congregation.  A woman approached me and said she wanted me to start a woman's group!  Wow!  Where did that come from?  I would love to do that, but only if that's what the Lord wants me to do.  But, how honored I am that she would ask me.  She said there was too much wisdom among older women in the church that's not be utilized.  She's right, but I'm not the only 70+ woman in that church and she chose me!

It was a delight to see Esther, the missionary's daughter there today.  She's in college in Mississippi and since I hadn't heard from her, I didn't expect to see her there.  But, there she was.  Such a beautiful young woman. I'm honored that she allows me to call her a friend.  How many 20 year olds want to be friends with great-grandmothers?

Today is one of those Sundays that a dinner is served in the dining hall after church.  This happens almost every other Sunday, giving the congregation still more opportunity to bond with each other.  There, I spoke with a dear woman who agreed that she very much wanted to be a part of a woman's group.  On top of that, she knows a pastor of one of the largest churches in a nearby community.  She is trying to open that door so that I can speak to that church!  Again, I'm humbled and amazed.

While she and I were talking, another woman and her daughter approached.  I stepped back, assuming she wanted to speak with my friend, but she informed me she wanted to talk to me.  Her first Sunday at our church after she moved from South Carolina, I spoke about miracles God was working in South Sudan.  She contacted her church in South Carolina and they, too, were blessed to hear what God was doing for men and women who are suffering greatly in that part of the world.

It turns out, her daughter is a budding author who is looking for Christian fiction.  She bought my book! They, too are wanting a woman's group to be started.  When I got home and got online, I was invited to join a group that promotes studying Scripture and applying it to our lives.  An ad on the side was for Christian fiction readers and authors.  Can't wait to tell my new friends about the Website and to loan her my Jan Karon books.

There's an old chorus that's been running through my mind as I've been writing this.
"The Windows of Heaven Are Open
There's blessing that's falling tonight
There's joy, joy, joy in my heart,
Since Jesus made everything right,
I put off my old tattered garments,
He gave me a robe of pure white,
I'm feasting on heavenly manna
And, that's why I'm happy tonight."

Supposedly, D.L. Moody was so overjoyed at all God was doing in his life, he stepped into a Chicago alley knelt and prayed, "Oh God, stay Your hand lest I perish."  I'm beginning to understand what he was talking about. Thank You, Lord.  Your amazing grace is overwhelming.  I can do no more than say, "thanks."

No comments:

Post a Comment