Friday, September 12, 2014

Blossoms on my tree

If you haven't already guessed, I call my friends my blossoms on my tree.  I have no idea whether the nettle tree actually has blossoms, but the nettles' tree does.

My friend Gideon was such a blessing to me recently.  Then there's Sandra.  Sandra and I met in 92 in Steubenville, Ohio.  We were both working at Kaufman's and not too happy about it.  She'd been a home ec teacher in the South, but was not able to get a teaching position when her family moved north to become Baptist music missionaries in Weirton, West Virginia.

We hit it off immediately.  When I became aware of VISTA positions at Urban Mission, I told her she needed to apply.  She did.  Both of us began to work for the Mission.  I admired her courage.  There were difficulties at the mission that should not have been there.  I left in protest.  She stayed to minister to the ones hurt by the wrong doing.  In fact, they gave her a full time position.  When her husband, Mike, became very ill, Sandra was able to figure out a way to continue her work and care full time for her husband.  Amazing.

After Mike's death, she continued to live in Steubenville and minister in her church, the reason for them moving from the south in the first place.  "The Lord didn't send me here to watch it die," was her valiant battle cry.  It was not to be.  Health issues took her back south to her son's families.

The Lord so graciously cared for this wonderful woman I can only begin to describe.  She now resides in Mississippi, making our contact via phone the only way to stay in touch.  But, oh, those conversations!

I was telling her how difficult the job has been to promote my book.  "Now, Mary, what did your characters do when they hit rough times?" she asked.

"You mean you're telling me I should take a page out of my own book?"

"Yes."

"Point taken......right through my heart."  We had a really good laugh together.  I'm so grateful my friend knew it was time for me to set aside the pity party and get on my knees.  That's what best friends do.  They know instinctively whether to comfort or correct.  Is it any wonder I consider my friends blossoms on my tree?

No comments:

Post a Comment