Thursday, April 19, 2018

Lovingly yours

The week before last was a very rough one. A cancer threat, screaming fights with AT&T, disgruntlement with Comcast, and a very sick dog ($ 417.00 worth) were among the things that I used to excuse myself for childish behavior. I've tried to tell myself I have a totally compromised nervous system and can't help it. Calmly, cheerfully, my very dear friend and computer guru reminded me that the Lord is "chipping away." God is using negative experiences to teach me to have faith in Him. From the bottom of my heart, thank you, John.

I begin my day studying God's Word and praying. How frequently I pray to be more Christ-like, to be a real example to both those who do and do not know Christ personally. Then, something happens that catches me by nasty surprise. It can range from annoying to catastrophic. And, my behavior ranges from frustration to outrage. Not very Christ-like. Embarrassingly unChrist-like. Such behavior is a total lack of faith. If I truly believe in a Sovereign God Who is good and loving, He has a purpose and a plan for what comes into my life-good, bad, or otherwise. It's been said what He brings into our lives is to bless or to teach. Gratitude for teaching as well as blessing is what He wants and what I need.

It's often been said to never pray for patience because God will use boot-camp techniques in order to stretch our faith and our endurance. But, if that's what I have been praying for, why am I not grateful that God is hearing and answering my prayer? I long for the faith of a Corrie ten Boom without the concentration camp experience. Ain't happening. It takes one to achieve the other.

When I'm having a stubborn, whiny moment, the Lord is so very good to send me someone who can see through my childishness and call me on it WITHOUT harping, preaching, or offensively offering unsolicited advice. John did that. He gently humbled me without humiliating me or letting me know how superior he is. He spoke truth in love.

The old adage, "I'ts not what you say, but how you say it," has good reason to have been around for so long. It's Biblical, for one thing.

I don't know about you, but it's my experience unsolicited advice is rarely, if ever, correct and NEVER appreciated.  It doesn't take much to see through those who point fingers and try to make me feel inferior. Personally, I have had to learn the very hard lesson that sometimes people have turned away from what I was saying, not because they hated me or even what I was saying. It was my tone and intent. I didn't realize I was coming across as a know-it-all. Sometimes what I was saying could have been helpful if I had been more careful about how, where, why, or when I said it. Self-examination (and prayer) could have shown me what I was saying was self-serving. Publicly praise and privately criticize has become my philosophy.

One of the many reasons I appreciate my friend, John, is that I've seen him in similar predicaments and he truly exhibits Christ-like faith and endurance. He's had ample opportunity to show me how to sulk or pitch temper tantrums, but he never has. Barbara Youdarian says self-pity rots the soul. How right she is. I have so much to learn and I'm grateful God isn't finished with me, yet. I'm grateful He gives me friends who are an example and a gentle adviser.
Thank you, Lord, for John.

No comments:

Post a Comment