Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Who's the Boss?

There are those who do not believe as I do that God is Sovereign.  When discussions like that occur, I pray and seek answers in God's Word.  I believe He's shown me in three specific lives that He truly is Sovereign.  The subject could be easily dismissed by quoting Isaiah 55:8.  "'For My thoughts are no your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways,' declares the LORD."

However, I think the subject deserves further attention.  There are three people in the Old Testament whose lives demonstrated God's Sovereignty.  The first is Job.  Job went through some very tough stuff. At the very beginning of the book, God taunts Satan with, "Have you seen my servant Job?" And the battle ensues.  Poor Job.  He loses all his children, all his livestock, and eventually, his health.

Worship was his response to the loss of his children. "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised." Scripture goes on to say, "In all this Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing." It is true, as time went on, Job because less patient with what was happening in his life and defends himself against his "friends."  He didn't understand what was going on.  He was never let in on the plan.  It was all between God and Satan.  Finally, God answers Job's complaints-but with neither apology nor explanation.  He asks question after question that forces Job to realize God is Sovereign and he is worthy of worship-no matter what happens.

Job is humbled, but not humiliated. God forgives his friends of all their pontificating when Job prays for them.  In chapter 42, verses 7 and 8, God says. "I am angry with you and your two friends because you have not spoken of Me what is right, as My servant Job has...My servant Job will pray for you, and I will accept his prayer and not deal with you according to your folly. You have not spoken of Me what is right, as My servant Job has."

Samson is next.  Chuck Swindoll says Samson was a he-man with a she problem. His job was to give the Philistines defeats and he did it.  Even though he was born at a special time for a special reason and had God's special power on him, he used all of it in a very worldly way. He was temperamental. With his great strength and penchant for the ladies, he tangled with the Philistines frequently.

The first time was when he married a Philistine woman.  His parents objected, as well they should. God specifically told Israel not to intermarry. However, Judges 14:4 says, "His parents did not know that this was from the LORD, Who was seeking an occasion to confront the Philistines..." Confrontation followed.  And, it wasn't the only time.  But, each time, except for Delilah, the Spirit of God came on him in power.  Even with that one failure, he still fulfilled his purpose of making trouble for the Philistines.

Third was David when he decided to count his men.  This too, was forbidden and in II Samuel 24:1, it says, "Again, the anger of the LORD burned against Israel, and He incited David against them, saying 'Go and take a census of Israel and Judah.'" But in I Chronicles 21:1, the Bible says, "Satan rose up against Israel and incited David to take a census of Israel."

Chuck Swindoll has the best take on the apparent discrepancy. He says, "Although Scripture is clear that God does not cause anyone to sin, it also clear that man's-and Satan's evil acts are under God's Sovereign control."

Apparently, God means it when He says His ways and thoughts are not ours. Do we accept it and continue to worship Him, or fight it and rebel?

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to ask the same questions I asked you last week to quantify your definition of sovereign. Is this sovereignty so far reaching that it overrides free will? Was it God's sovereignty in effect when Hitler rose to power - was it His will to have Europe ruled over by sheer evil? What I disagreed with was that whichever leader we end up with, that guy or gal is God's will. If that's what you mean by sovereignty then again, I profoundly disagree. As I asked again and again on facebook, with no answer from you OR from those who disagreed with you, let's define terms so we can understand what is being said. If it's that free will is just an illusion or does not exist, that is a religious thought I will never be able to accept.
    I'd also like to quibble over the idea that His thoughts are not our thoughts. That's Old Testament. That's not the church. That does not apply to us. Believers have been given the mind of Christ.

    ReplyDelete