Friday, March 27, 2015

Swagger

There's a new disease these days.  Well, I've only begun to hear about it recently.  It may have been around for years for all I know.  The older I get, the less important these things become.  Anyway, there's a lot of talk these days about getting your swagger on.

Now why would I consider that a disease, you ask?  Simple.  If you're good, you don't have to brag about it.  To me, bragging about your accomplishments is a huge sign of insecurity-the exact opposite of what people are trying to convey.

I admire quiet people.  People who go about getting the job done without tooting their own horn. Today's rant got started because, out of curiosity, I applied to an organization known as World Wide Branding.  They called me today to interview me to see if I qualify.  Apparently I do, which surprises me.  I told her I feel like a kindergartner trying to graduate from Harvard.

Do you remember the scene in Legally Blond where all the students are gathered around, telling of their accomplishments and how they looked at Elle Woods whose accomplishments were nothing compared with theirs.  The difference between Ms. Woods and me is that she was oblivious.  Leading her sorority in a change of toilet paper could hardly be compared with what some of the others had done.  It made for a funny scene in the movie, but in real life, I don't ever want to overdo my own accomplishments.  And I don't see myself as putting myself down.  I just want to be realistic about what I've accomplished and to hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant," when I enter eternity.

I recognize I have to get my name out there if I ever want to sell books, which is the purpose of writing them.  It's too rich for my blood to consider it a hobby.  I prefer to simply state what the book's about and if someone is interested, well and good.  If not, hopefully someone else will be.

I did make the mistake of not putting any biographical material on the cover.  Therefore, if anyone knows me and would be interested in buying, they don't know what I've done.  For those who don't know me, it's a big risk to buy a book written by unknown.

Therefore, I'm hoping the exposure I need will come from experts who've taken my biographical information and spread the word for me.  I'll tell stories about my life and people I've met all day long, but when it comes to stepping into the spotlight-well, I'd rather not.

Getting my swagger on is something I have no intention of doing.  How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment