Friday, August 15, 2014

Paradigm Shift

I have been blessed with such wonderful friends, friends who get me to thinking.  When Bettyann and I talked the day before yesterday, we were discussing her aged parents.  At 88 and 86, they are no longer able to care for themselves physically, although according to her, they're still "sharp as tacks" mentally.  She tells them they have a "new normal."

Yesterday, I had a wonderful time with Margo and we, too, discussed adapting to change.  Both she and I have a history of multiple moves and it's made it easier to adapt to change.  What Bettyann calls a new normal, I call a paradigm shift.

Margo and I've learned to adapt to change in our lives.  For the most part, we've even learned to be grateful for those changes.  I can honestly say that.  However, our discussion of my book led me to realize there's been a huge paradigm shift in my life that I not only have NOT been grateful for, but I've resisted vehemently.

You guessed it.  Computers and social media.  If I had to move again, I'd do it.  It might take a while to be grateful, but it would come.  So, why can't I see my way clear to accept the fact that computers and social media are a part of every day life in the 21st century?  Mr. Czambel, my sixth grade teacher, told my mother my IQ was high enough that I could do anything I wanted IF I STUDIED.

I heard the first part of the comment and for many years ignored the second-to my detriment.  My college English professor told me I had a real flair for writing, but I needed to discipline it.  Then she handed me the lowest test score I got to that point.

Margo mentioned computer experts who could give me personal lessons and it sounds like a good idea. Maybe then I can quit griping about how demonized the nasty little boogers are.  Maybe then I can actually be in contact with all those wonderful people who have so graciously accepted me on Facebook and Linked In.  My computer literate friends would be grateful, I know.  They can get on with their own writing instead of babysitting me.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment