Thursday, July 21, 2016

The measure of my father

Hannity interviewed Ivanka Trump last night after the convention ended for the night.  He asked her if it hurt to hear her dad trashed. I thought that question was a little dumb, but her answer was priceless.  She admitted it was very painful, but she knows "the measure of my father." Wow! How powerful! Obviously, she was talking about her biological dad, but it opened my heart and my spirit to gain a new understanding of my relationship with my heavenly Father.

When others ridicule God, I can feel sorry for them and pray for them because they're spitting in the wind. The Psalmist says God laughs at them. Even better, it deepens my faith because I know He is all God's Word says He is. He is worthy of my love, my trust, my obedience.

Another thing Ivanka said that was so powerful is that her father taught his children to be grateful. She freely admitted that they could be considered "spoiled" because their childhood had so many advantages, but what kept them from being truly spoiled is that they were grateful. We could all take a page from her book. Not only is she articulate, she gives her dad all the credit.  That's another thing I can turn to a spiritual lesson.  Everything I have is a gift from the Lord and I need to be grateful.

She also mentioned learning as they go along, acknowledging mistakes have been made. They all seem to polished, so elegant, but admitting mistakes is good reason to admire the family.It humanizes them. Never mind the fact that all 4 adult children are so successful, so upstanding. They don't drink or do drugs.  How many American families can say that? Governor Pence said you can't fake good kids.  Trump's children are good kids.

Not much has been said about Tiffany Trump's speech. but she humanized her dad in a beautiful way. She does not seem to have the self-assurance of her half siblings and her history could be the reason. Yet, she stood up and spoke of her dad in a way that told why his children adore him.  She spoke of his warmth and his concern for other people, especially her family in Georgia.  I appreciated knowing he wrote notes on her report card that encouraged her without focusing on her grades. To know she's much younger than the other three and has a different mother could have made the relationship with her siblings difficult, but their care for each other is obvious and enviable.
.

Perhaps her speech didn't get the attention it deserved because it was a love fest for her dad and then her oldest half-brother spoke eloquently about his abilities.  His comment that he and his siblings are the only billionaire's children he knows that are as comfortable driving a caterpillar as their own cars. His love for his dad was obvious, as was his admiration. Last night, he and his wife reached for each other's hands as they sat listening to other's speak.  I'm again reminded of the similarities between Solomon and Trump.  Neither are examples for marriage, but both know a lot about how to make a woman feel loved.  I say that because of the way Donald jr. and his wife behaved toward each other when they didn't realize they were being observed.  His dad taught him that, I'm sure.

Eric, too, seems to know the measure of his father. He spoke of why his dad took on this massive effort to right things he sees wrong with our nation.  He quoted his dad as saying he would only consider running if things got too bad and apparently, he'd reached his limit. Good thing.  Psalm 125:3 says, "The scepter of the wicked will not remain over the land allotted to the righteous, for then the righteous might use their hands to do evil." Many of us are tired of evil not only being done, but celebrated.  Lord, keep me faithful. Thank you for his courage to stand up and try to do something when he didn't have to.

It's been said you can't have five children without at least one of them abandoning their raisings.  Thus far, Donald J. Trump has reared really great children.  Theodore Roosevelt was quoted as saying he could be in charge of the White House or he could keep his daughter, Alice, in line, but he couldn't do both. Since Trump has proved himself as a dad, we can be confident he'll do just as good a job in the White House.  Congratulations, sir.  My hat's off to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment